Monday, June 7, 2010

All good things must come to an end?

Danielle has been sleeping in a pack & play in our room since she was about a week old. (Before that, she slept with me in the living room recliner since it was easier for me to get in and out of after the c-section.) She sleeps terrific. I am very lucky. She is by far the best sleeper of the three.

Here is the pack & play in the corner of our room:



It has a "newborn napping station" in the top of it. This is where she has been sleeping. It's super soft and rounded, so I'm sure it feels a lot like sleeping in someone's arms (which she also loves to do).



She's getting too big for it. And I know it's time to take the napping station out and put her in the regular bassinet. But I'm scared to do it. I'm afraid the 6, 7, 8 and even 9 hour stretches of sleep (without waking to eat) will end when she has to sleep flat. It has been really nice having her sleep so well so early.

At first, I said I would wait until school was out to move her. Then we had company this weekend, so I decided to wait until they were gone. Which means last night should have been the first night she slept in the bassinet. But she was in the soft cuddly sleeper again last night (and she slept great).

But if I'm being honest, I actually prefer her not to sleep through the night. She starts in her bed, but if she wakes during the night, she comes in to bed with Doug and I. And I love those cuddles. And she does too b/c she sleeps really great with us. But I love it when she sleeps most of the night in her own bed. Ideally, I would like her to wake up around 4 or 5 for the first time. Then I get my cuddles with her, but also get some good sleep first.

So I'm hoping that when she makes the move, she'll still sleep until at least 3 am before she wakes up and comes in with us. Fingers crossed that it happens that way.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Good luck. David's been sleeping in his swing...and he is very quickly outgrowing it. No idea what we're gonna do.

Anonymous said...

How about using the padded part of the sleeping station in the lower bassinet? Or, if that won't fit/work, what about rolling some receiving blankets to 'tuck' in on both of her sides...to kind of give her that cocooned feeling?