Monday, December 13, 2010

Check-ups

On Nov 30th, Danielle had her 9 month checkup. (I'm a little late blogging about it.) She weighed 18 lbs, 10 oz (25-50%) and was 28.5 inches long (75-90%). The doctor mentioned how little weight she put on since her 6 month checkup (when she weighed 18 lbs, 6 oz), but wasn't overly concerned while we talked. She said D looked great and was hitting her milestones, just encouraged me to make sure she breastfeeds as much as she used to since babies this age tend to be highly distractable. So I wasn't worried about her weight. Then the nurse came in to give her flu shot and told me the doc wants to see us back in a month for a weight check. Fantastic. So now I'm worried. And since the doc was already gone, I don't know what will be considered ok at the next appt. Does she need to gain a certain amount? What happens if she doesn't? I don't know. So I've been feeding this girl as much as she'll eat since then and trying to do less table food and more breastmilk for now, since the doc stressed the importance of the calories in the milk. Fingers crossed that we 'pass' the follow-up appt.

Just for fun, here are the big kids' 9 month stats:
G: 20 lbs; 29 3/4 inches
B: 26 lbs; 30 1/2 inches
D continues to be our littlest babe.

Today was Bradley's 5 year checkup, almost a month late. I'm nothing if not consistent when it comes to procrastination. HA! He weighs 44.5 lbs (about 75%) and is 45 inches tall (about 90%). My BIG baby boy isn't a baby anymore and is no longer 95%+ on weight! Yay B! The big news from his appt is that he might have asthma. He has had a cough for a lot of the year and we had seen a different doctor about it over the summer who said it was a habit and to ignore it. This doc thinks it could be a sign of asthma and prescribed medicine to determine if it is the case. If the medicine makes him stop coughing, we'll go back in to the doc to discuss preventative measures. If the medicine doesn't work, we'll try an antibiotic to make sure there isn't something wrong. If that doesn't clear it up, he will agree with the previous doctor's assessment that it is just a habit. B had breathing issues as a baby, both at birth and later, so this is not a shocking possibility to me. But I had really hoped he had outgrown it since he went so long without problems. Calgary was good for him and we had no issues the entire time we lived there. Maybe we need to move back if this does turn out to be asthma?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OR you could move to Connecticut. Colder weather, but not as much snow. And a couple of ready-made friendships to boot! ;)

Unknown said...

I wouldn't worry dear. Hannah only gain 6 oz between here 12 - 18 month appointments and she's now a happy, healthy 30 lb. 3 1/2 year old. I know that sounds light to you but Nathan is 7 and weighs 39lbs. They both are healthy and strong.