Thursday, January 19, 2012

1947 days

Danielle weaned last month.  She was 21 months old.  She nursed for 651 days.  Add that to the 478 days that Gracie nursed and the 818 days that Bradley nursed and you get 1947 days that I spent breastfeeding my children.

Those who know me well know how passionate I am about breastfeeding.  I think it started when I failed at the natural, drug-free childbirth I had wanted.  I was only 24 when Gracie was born and so naive about so many things.  I remember crying when the doctor said we had to do a c-section, as that was my worst fear at the time.  After that perceived failure, I was committed to making the breastfeeding work.  And then I discovered that I loved it.  And my babies all loved it.  And of all the things about mothering babies, I know I will miss breastfeeding the most.

But I am happy that my children are all growing up and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of people they will be.  And Danielle gave me the perfect ending to my breastfeeding career.  I think the timing was perfect.  She chose when to stop, so I never felt like I had to force her (like I did with Bradley, who is surely destined to be a "boob man").  It never got to be something I was tired of, but I was ready to let it go when she was.  I couldn't have scripted it any better. 

1 comment:

Amanda Duggan said...

I'm so glad it ended well for you! That is one thing I do miss about having babies. Such a special thing!