Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fifth's Disease

The night we flew down to Texas, Gracie had red cheeks. We thought it was probably because she was tired since it was so late. But the next day they were even redder. She went in for a well check-up on the 19th and the pediatrician said she had Fifth's Disease. It is a respiratory virus that goes away and then comes back as a rash on the face, limbs and torso a couple weeks later. Nothing serious, except to pregnant women. So, we called all our pregnant friends to let them know what was going on and they checked with doctors before seeing us.

Now, this virus has a very long incubation period (up to a month), so we knew it would take a while to know if she gave it to anyone else. Her 'lucky' brother now has it. We're hoping the cousins don't get it.

So far, I have not gotten it. My mom wasn't sure if I was exposed as a child. It's like chicken pox, so if you've ever been exposed to it, you're immune. Doug was exposed when he was a kid, so we knew he'd be okay. Fingers crossed that I remain rash free. ;)

Here's Bradley today:





And Gracie back in December...



1 comment:

Ticia said...

Haha I love the first one. :)