Thursday, August 13, 2009

Unsettled

So, we've been living in the new house for two weeks, as of yesterday. I was hoping we would be a little more settled in by now. The study isn't unpacked at all, which means I can't post pics to the blog since the 'big' computer isn't set up yet and that's where we store our pics. Doug and I aren't sure about how we want the furniture in our room yet, so everything is just kind of there. None of our boxes of books are unpacked yet, except the kids. The living room is functional, but not much else. Bradley's room and the kids' playroom are the only rooms that are totally done. Gracie's is functioning as it will, but not painted yet. The other rooms all need paint and/or reorganizing of furniture. This house will feel like home. We will get everything just the way we want it. I just have to remember to be patient.

And on an unrelated note, the kids and I walked to Gracie's school today to see how long it would take us and get her enrolled in school. We were all practically dying by the time we got back home (after 30 min outside). It is so hot here. Our bodies haven't experienced this in years and it's going to take some getting used to. But it's gonna be rough at first. I'm already trying to brainstorm ways to get there faster. And the shittiest thing of all? Despite printing a checklist of everything I would need to get her enrolled today, I got there and they needed three things I didn't have with me. So we walked over there and damn near died for nothing.

4 comments:

alicia said...

I've been in my house for a month and i'm no where near unpacked. Take it easy. It will get done eventually.

C! said...

I hope you get to feeling settled soon. I know how anxious it makes me - the boxes I've packed were just driving me nuts until I finally rented a storage unit yesterday and took them there...I can breathe...barely. And painting - ugh - I love the outcome, but for the first time in my life I've considered hiring painters! I feel like I've worked so hard, yet so little is actually done. So my advice (to both of us) little bites, lots of breaks and getting out of the house (to someplace air conditioned!!) and know it will get done someday! Can't wait to see pictures :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're feeling so unsettled....I think that we may still have some boxes to unpack from when we moved here, almost FIVE YEARS AGO!! Of course, they're hidden down in the basement and out of sight now. ;)
You're my hero for not pitching a royal fit when the school employees informed you that you didn't have everything necessary. I'd have very grumpily pointed out that I DID have everything according to their checklist!

Nemeth family said...

Umm...how about a car? A car with a/c? That's how I would get her to school. Load all your hineys in the nice cool car and drive her. Problem solved!
And just think, come January, you will be so happy to walk her when there isn't a foot of snow on the ground and a 50 below zero wind chill :-)