Thursday, March 27, 2008

We survived

The kids and I got home from TX yesterday. Overall, the travel went fine. Last week, I had called a cab to come at 1:00, but when it wasn't here at 1:25 I couldn't wait anymore and drove us myself. This cost us $100 more b/c airport parking is so expensive, which was why we had planned for a cab instead. Then, we got to the airport and the line to check-in was a mile long and not moving. I was sitting there looking at the time and looking at my flight info on the screens with the words "Check-in closes one hour prior" and trying not to cry realizing that there was no way we were going to make it. Then I saw that there were open consoles, so I asked the guy in front of me why everyone was standing in line when they could walk right up to check in. He said he was already checked in and just needed to check his bag and thought that was the case for most of the people in line. So, I went up to get checked in. This was the moment Bradley decided to run off. In my fragile emotional state, I dang near started bawling. I chased after him, leaving all our bags sitting by the console. Once I had us checked in, I went to ask if I needed to get back in line to get my bag checked. That's when I found out our flight was delayed 2.5 hours. The woman suggested we not get back in line, but go to a play area for the kids and come ack in an hour. So we did. And it was great. The kids got to run around and I was able to relax. When we went back an hour later, there was no line and even the customs line only had a half dozen people in it. The flight went very well and surprisingly, both kids stayed awake through it all. We got into Houston at 10 our time but it was almost 12 when we got to my parents' house b/c of a delay in getting the bags.

Yesterday's flight was on time, but the kids were much more rowdy than last week, so it was a harder day. It was so good to be home again. We had a great week and enjoyed seeing family and friends, but it is always good to sleep in your own bed again. I'll be glad when Doug is home on Saturday and everything will go back to normal.

I haven't put the pictures on the computer yet, so I'll have to get that done so I can post pics from our visit. Today, we're being very lazy and relaxing, so I should have time to get to it later.

No comments: