Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gracie's birthday weekend

WARNING: Picture overload ahead!

On Friday, we picked Gracie up from school and went straight to Banff. Well, we stopped for dinner at her choice (Boston Pizza) in Canmore on the way. First thing on the agenda when we got to the hotel were the waterslides. No pics from that though. I think I learned my lesson last year (when I dropped our camera in the spa while taking waterslide pics).

Next up was birthday cake. We left the kids in their swimsuits for easier clean up.




It's hard to tell, but the top layer was purple, bottom layer blue with pink (of course) icing.





After cake, we gave the kids baths before Gracie opened presents. Doug was the official cameraman and I don't know if he'll ever be given that duty again. I think he took about 100 pics of her opening. Luckily for y'all, I picked a select few to post here. (I tried to get at least 1 pic from each person(s) who gave her a gift.)

Opening the new pony playset from Jenny, Justin, Jovie and Julia.


Such a poser. ;) With the card from Grandma and Grandpa.


A new outfit from Robert, Jennifer, Grace, Robbie & Sophie.


The CO clan also got Bradley a little something. I wrapped it and told him he could open it when Gracie was done. He sat there so nicely watching her open her gifts and holding his. Thanks Jen for thinking of him!


A new dress for our girly girl from Grammy & Grandpa. She wore it to school yesterday. :)


She did a double take before getting excited about this shirt. It wasn't pink, so it wasn't until she saw the peace sign that she got excited. What can I say, she is her mother's daughter. ;)


Doug did a great job of capturing her face on this one. She was over the moon for this new Wii game from Ticia. :)


Bradley's turn!


Gracie and I show Bradley how the new Etch-a-sketch works. (Please ignore the fact that I have no pants on. Doug and I didn't get out of swim suits until after gifts were opened.)


Saving the best for last... a new PINK camera! She contained her joy because Doug and I told her before she opened it that it was a very grown up gift and she had to take care of it. She's probably already taken 100 pics with it. Thanks Grandma & Grandpa! Now hopefully she'll leave ours alone. ;)


Sat morning, we got up and went back to the waterfall that we went to with Aunt Ticia last month. That was the one sight-seeing thing on Gracie's agenda. Last time the path was icy and it was slow going and the waterfall was half frozen. This time the path was clear and the waterfall was melted and going at full blast.

The view from the hotel before we left.




Gracie reading the informative sign to Bradley before we started the hike to the waterfall.


The waterfall!

Up close!


From farther back.


The catwalk we had to walk on to get there.


The middle falls. Last time, we stopped at the lower falls. This time, since it was so much faster going, we kept going. We hope next time we go, we can make it to the upper falls.


The poser again. ;)


Beautiful.


Bradley walked the entire way! It's not that far for a grown-up, but for a three year old, it was a lot.


Upon returning to the hotel, we had lunch and then went back to the waterslides for close to 2 hours then tackled the outside playground...




and then the indoor playground.










After that, it was dinner and bath time. Bradley was passed out cold on the couch by 7:10 and Gracie was out by 8. :)
Every time we have come to Banff we have seen wildlife. This time was no exception. There were six deer in the parking lot when we checked out Sunday morning! Obviously I didn't get them all in this shot. ;) We also saw mountain goats on Sat, but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to get their pic.


Sunday, Gracie didn't waste time learning to play her new Mario Galaxy game. :)




That's it. Whew. I told you there were a lot of pics. :)

3 comments:

A Crafty Mom said...

What a fabulous time you guys had!!! Boston Pizza AND Banff - two of my favourites :) I can't believe she is seven already . . . such a big girl. Glad it was a success and the birthday was fantastic!!

Ticia said...

Yay! What a fabulous birthday weekend. Next year will have to really be something to top all that.

I can't believe how different the waterfall looks when it's not, you know, totally frozen. :)

Geelco said...

That looked like a fun day... My mom use to get a gift for the non birthday person all the way up until we were 16... Those pictures are beautiful and you can not get scenery like that in Texas!