Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A few more new things...

On Sunday, we left our kids with a babysitter for the first time. We've always left them with family in the past, but this time we left them with our 13 year old neighbor. They were so excited when she came over and she said they were good for her. She is watching them again tomorrow night so I can go to a Parents Council meeting at Gracie's school. (Doug will be working late all week.) Once they get a little more used to each other, we'll be using her to go out on dates more often.

Last night I went to my first book club. I've been reading a lot since we moved up here (55 books already this year) and was excited to be able to discuss a book after reading it. The book club had about 15 people and we had some great discussions about Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. I recommend the book, but it is almost 1000 pages, so be prepared to take some time to read it. Next month we are reading A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah, which I've heard great things about and was planning to read in the future. The best part of it all was browsing the bookshelves afterwards. I never get to go to the libary by myself and it was so nice to not be hurried or distracted by kids.

Today, Gracie went to the dentist for the first time. A couple days after knocking out her tooth last week, something started to come through the gum. It didn't look like a permanent tooth because it was too small, so I made an appt for her to get it checked out. They did an x-ray and everything is fine. The dentist said sometimes after trauma, a tooth comes through the gum a little bit and then goes back up when everything firms up again. Whew! What a relief! I was so worried that she had broken her big tooth in the fall. And I'm so proud of her because she did great. I picked the dentist because he is the parent of one of her kindergarten classmates from last year, so he was familiar to her. I think it paid off. I made her an appointment for Nov to go in for her first cleaning. Hopefully that goes as well as today did.

Oh, and it feels like summer today. It's getting up to the low 80's and we're loving it! I know the cold is right around the corner, so I'm enjoying this nice weather while it lasts.

2 comments:

Ticia said...

Glad the bad doctor karma didn't get you and everything went well!

I'm so jealous of your weather. It's cloudy and 50's here and I'm just not ready for the cold to be back.

And hooray for the much anticipated return of date nights! :)

Bethany said...

I hear you on that library front. It's going to happen for me again, one day...